Surly Disc Trucker
All Bikes Are Available for In-Store Pick Up Only
- This is the best off the shelf touring bike you can buy. We love the Trucker, and think you will too.
The Disc Trucker is a disc brake touring bike made by Surly Bikes. It is built similarly to the Long Haul Trucker (rim brake) in terms of geometry and handling characteristics, but is distinguished by its braking mechanism.
The Surly Disc Trucker (DT) is hands down the "best in class" touring bike. The DT is a comfortable, stable bicycle built with reliable components which facilitate long distance travel or in-town loaded commuting with grace and style. The Disc Trucker is built similarly to the Long Haul Trucker (rim brake) in terms of geometry and handling characteristics, but is distinguished by its braking mechanism.
Disc brakes are considered to be stronger than rim brakes as the braking mechanism (caliper) is located closer to the center of the wheel and therefore fights against less leverage when actuated. Disc brakes actuate on a braking surface (the disc) that remains true through use for a comparably longer period of time than a rim brake. The improved stopping power of disc brakes provides a more secure ride when fully loaded or when facing extreme conditions while touring.
The main design benefit of a touring bike is it's inherent ability to steer, accelerate and handle well when loaded up with 20-60+ pounds of gear. The DT is designed with a long wheelbase and slack angles on the seat tube and headtube. This relatively "slack" geometry and long wheelbase allows for the distribution of weight across the entire bicycle, a low center of gravity and stable handling.
Touring bikes are designed for traveling. To travel well, one needs to be flexible. The DT is designed to be used with a wide variety of racks, fenders, tires and other accessories. Adding similar components to a road or cyclo-cross bicycle could either be difficult or would require some degree of improvisation that in the long term would either break the component or the bicycle. In contrast, the DT comes with frame mounts for racks, fenders, lights, pumps, extra spokes, and whatever else you may want to bolt to your frame for loaded riding.
Surly chose the components group on the DT to maximize reliability, durability and ease of maintenance.
- Microshift Bar Con 9 Speed Bar End Shifters - easy to use, index/friction option, inexpensive to replace
- Reliable Shimano Sora/Deore LX deraillers
- Wide range (26/36/48t) square taper crankset - 110/74 bcd easy to modify/maintain
- Wide range 11-34t 9 speed Shimano cassette
- Avid BB7 disc brake calipers with 160mm rotors - good braking modulation, wide tire/fender clearance
- Shimano Deore XT/Alex Adventure wheelset - wide rims allow for a larger tire contact patch. Strong wheels.
If you are looking to "go the distance," this is the bike for you.
- See the Surly write up for more details and frame geometry
- We stock the Disc Trucker. If you are interested in a Surly Long Haul Trucker please call or email the shop to arrange a special order (deposit can be taken over the phone).
- Surly complete bicycles are available for in-store-pickup only. We cannot and will not ship, and you cannot arrange for a third party carrier to pickup the bike on your behalf. You may purchase the bike online, and come into the store to pick up the bike. As a sweetener, we offer 15% off all parts and accessories for your new bike for the first 30 days after your purchase, even for online-facilitated purchases.